Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Kolsen's Surgery



*** Warning *** Long post below!! I use this as a journal so I wanted to document it all ***

It has finally come. Kolsen has been having some problems sleeping at night and has been breathing funny lately so we thought we would have him looked at by an Ear Nose and Throat. The doctor took one look in his mouth and said "Yep!! Those have to come out. They take up 80% of his airways." I knew they were big but I had no idea they were that big. So we decided to go ahead and get them taken out. It was really scary for me to even think about my little guy having a procedure like that done but I knew it was the best thing for him.

So Yesterday was the big day. We went in at 6:15am and they took us back to the room at about 6:45. I was really really nervous because Jason couldn't come and knew I would have to send my baby off with a total stranger all by myself. When they took us back to the room I said a little prayer that I would be OK in front of Kolsen so I wouldn't scare him. When the nurse walked in I knew Heavenly Father had answered my prayer! The nurse was one of my old neighbors who we were good friends with. I totally lost it when I saw her and knew that everything would be OK. The best part about it was that after I got Kolsen dressed in his gown I gave him a hug and he walked away with someone he knew and wasn't scared at all. I am so grateful for that blessing and I will never forget the kindness of my Father in Heaven!!! The nice part also was that Alan and Debbie were in the waiting room with me so I had someone to keep my mind off things and I have a wonderful Mom who took Callie the night before and that day so I could take care of Kolsen without any other distractions. I am so grateful to them for all their love and support.

So about 25 min went by and the doctor came out and said that everything went great. Then 15 min later the nurse came out and said that we could go see him. As we were walking back she was telling us that they don't normally bring the parents back that fast but Kolsen was up and wanting all the nurses to hold him and was doing great so they thought I should be there. She told me that I was lucky to have such a sweet little boy and that she could tell that he was a good kid. She also said that most kids his age have to be put on oxygen when they come out to help them breathe because of the sedation, but all his vital signs were great and he was doing everything that they asked him to do. We had to wait there and be monitored for about 40 min and until he finished his IV bag. Then when that was done the nurse went to take it out and he started getting a little nervous. So she stopped and said "Her let me do this first." She took Shamu (Kolsen doesn't go any where without this )and wrapped his arm up with tape and told Kolsen that he needed one to match. So he stuck out his arm and let her take it out and have a bandage just like his Shamu. They were so good with him!! Everyone there was so good with kids and it was such a good experience for all of us.

Kolsen did great that day. He was still pretty groggy but we had to stop at Walgreen's to fill his prescriptions so he got to pick out his very own ice cream and movie from the red box. He thought that was the best thing ever. Then we went home and he watched movies all day with some visitors throughout the day. Today has not been as good. He woke up in a lot of pain and for a while wouldn't even swallow his spit. He would just sit with it in his mouth until it would come out and I would wipe it. I felt so bad for him but after the medicine I couldn't do much. He has been so good through it all and I am so lucky to have such an awesome little boy. I am also so blessed to have a husband and family members who hold the priesthood so that when things like this come up they are able to give us all blessings so we can have the help of our Father in Heaven. I KNOW that is why he did so well and how I got through it better than I thought I would. I am so grateful for all that I have in my life and so grateful that I have two families that give us so much love and support. Thank you to all of those who kept us in your prayers and helped us get through. We love you and appreciate it!

2 comments:

Brian and Jessica said...

I am so thankful Heavenly Father answered your prayers too!! I'm positive he was very well taken care of! And now its over with and he can breath and sleep good forever!! I love that shamu got to be with him and get a matching band aid!! What a big brave boy Kolsen is!! Love you all!!

TheDickersons said...

So glad to hear how everything went well, especially how brave Kolsen was.