Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Follow up

So Picking Kolsen up after his first day of school was an ordeal! Lets just say that I am so glad that day is over and now I can look back at it and laugh. It wasn't a good day for anyone. Here is how the picking up went:

I get there early because I am anxious to see if they lost my child at recess or he ran off because they made him sit still, to find a very very crowded hallway with parents thinking the same thing I was. They finally open the door for the parents and we go in. I look around and notice that Kolsen is holding hands with a bunch of kids. I didn't think anything of it until I hear them say "Ok lets go get on the bus". At which point I about fainted. I told them that I was hear to pick him up and they said "Oh let me check, Yeah your right. He isn't on our bus route. Good thing you were here or we would have taken him out to the bus." So now I am really freaking out because they almost lost my kid! So I say "Kolsen you can come with me" and he starts yelling "No mom, I go on the bus" You can imagine how excited he was to hear the he got to ride the bus home!!! Not so good for me who now has to tell him that he can't. I say again that it is time to go and he can ride the bus another time. (And I see the fit coming) The only thing I can think to do at this point is BRIBE AWAY! I know horrible mother. But after the emotional breakdown earlier I couldn't take a fit today. So After he had said several times that he doesn't want to go home with me and that he wants to ride the bus, I tell him that I got him a treat at home for being such a big school boy. It works and I sign him out. Then as everyone else leaves I have a few questions for the teacher who I am not sure about yet. I ask him my questions and he makes me feel like a total idiot. So after the second question and another rude answer I am done and leave the class with my son bolting for the bus. Anyway, we got home fine and walk in the door and Kolsen starts Bawling. I have no idea why, He didn't hit anything, He won't say anything, and he is starting to pee his pants. I finally get him to the potty and calmed down enough to find out that he missed me at school and wants me to come to his class tomorrow. That made me feel so much better after hearing that he didn't want to come home with me! I know it was just all the emotions he was feeling coming out. The poor guy had been through a lot of new experiences that day! After I got him cleaned up and calmed down we had lunch and everyone went down for naps. And I flopped down on the couch and turned on the TV and didn't move until nap was over. WHAT A DAY!!!! I am glad it is over.

The rest of the week has gone so much better and Kolsen loves his class and his new friends. I am still not sure if I like the teacher yet, but I am going to give him the rest of the week to get settled and then form an opinion. I am hopping he is just distracted because it is the first week. He was still rude today, but at least his assistants are AWESOME with the kids. I love them! Anyway, that was my venting and now I feel better! Thanks for listening!

5 comments:

Brian and Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! Talk about a crazy first day!! Poor things! Is he going 4 days a week?? I personally think that is just a little too much for 3! I hope he adjusts ok and he loves it and you do better! :) Good luck!

The Davis's said...

I know Jess! 4 Days really is too much. But for now it's this or nothing because we can't afford to pay for school so it will have to work. I am sure it will get better. Thanks!

Chelle said...

Oh goodness school. Yes i do believe i can wait for those days. I think i will have a heart attack. Sheesh. Hope the rest of the year gets better for you!

PC&Trev said...

HMMM, that sounds like a ton of fun. Thank goodness you got there when you did. Poor Kolsen, any 3 yr old would have been so excited for the bus. Hopefully, you'll both get used to it.

aliciamae100 said...

I'm so glad you were there to keep him from getting on that bus - you were inspired! I can't believe Kolson's such a big boy attending school already!